Thursday, November 29, 2007

I want MY mind! (or there ain’t no rogue electron)

Elf was rummaging into the notion archive.

I approached him to see what was he doing and heard him chuckle.

-Laughing at me as usual? I asked in good mood.

He looked up and I saw that undoubtedly impish look in his eyes. This is a proof of his unspeakable thoughts and undoubtedly deviated behavior!

-Ah, here you are, he said grandly with a big grin and assessing me from mindhead to mindtoes.

-Of course here I am! I said somewhat peevishly, feeling my good mood ooze out while I looked at his ironic face and listened to his sarcastic commentary,where else? This is MY mind!

-Less than you think of, I assure you m’lad, less than you think of, he retorted with that infuriating pose of a Celtic gnome who knows it all he used to adopt when teasing me!

-Now what!, I felt to rise in my… well, in my mind the usual rage I feel when he start to make me look like a child, are you going to tell me MY mind isn’t mine?

-No, no, just let this subject drop waiting for a better moment, what I meant to say is that reading with time and serenity I can appraise the involuntary good sense you displayed talking about that “accidental electron”, do you remember? Yes, I remembered, and I remembered the disturbed speechless countenance of Elf when I finished my relation. That picture of his confused face was enough to make me recover my good mood.

-Yeah, I said with a big grin of my own, I remember! You were bewildered no end!

-Naturally I was bewildered! I never, not even for a second, thought you would deploy the old theory of the primeval soup! Never thought you could, not even remotely, know about its existence. I thought you would talk about some nonsense in an electrical gadget!

-Electrical gadget, my foot! I hurled at him a comma I found in the floor, lost undoubtedly from some of my thoughts mixed up by Elf!

-Whaddayou think, I cannot live other life than that between my electrical gadgets? That I cannot know about the Princeton Gnosis? that I never was exposed to all those theories about how, when, why and by whom, if anyone, was life developed in this planet?

-Now, steam off, will you? I am telling you I appreciate the involuntary good sense you displayed talking about the “accidental electron”! he interjected, I was a bit confused, I didn’t know if feel insulted or flattered.

-You see, continued my nemesis, you were trying to state one of those petty theories of agnostic and atheists and when I asked where was God in this brainy hypothesis, you answered, with the involuntary knowledge implanted in your core, something to the effect that He was intervening somewhat to make the theory work. This small comment of yours is enough to show what is a real truth: humankind will work thousands of theories trying to elude the concept of a superior being but will also let out from its deep foundation, without even knowing it, the crucial belief of the undeniable need of the existence of a creator.

I consider this unusual speech.

-I cannot deny your postulation, I finally said, also, I cannot vouch for it so clearly. But some entries ago I said something about this idea and the vacuum inside any and all human individuals.

-Exactly! Some of you (and they are not as many as so noisy that it seems as if everybody agrees with them, which is far from the truth since most human beings believe, and many of them even state that there must be a creator for all these marvels around us that we can see, hear or detect somehow and of those we can’t) some of you I said, want to spread the insane idea of an “accidental” or “chance creation”, similar to that of the monkey and its typewriter (or should I say Personal Computer), where with time and patient the little animal can produce a sonnet similar or identical to any of those written by Shakespeare!

I didn’t know what to say, so I just stare at him dumbfounded, it was so out of character all this tirade!

But he looked comfortable expounding all these abstract concepts that I just let him go on.

-The mathematical odds of this happening are staggering. Now, if we follow Sir Arthur Conan Doyle advice in the mouth of Sherlock Holmes: “Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.”, then we can safely accept the old, old Aristotelian concept of an immobile motor which has and is bringing into being all other things in the Universe! And rest at easy, I can asseverate it is true!

-You can?… What do you mean, you can?… How can you?… What are you talking about?…

Elf fled from my questions and made him scarce between a good and a bad idea…


© 2007 Soother.

1 comment:

Balqis DBJ said...

LOL...I laugh again reading this story. I like your creativity in writing the dialogues.

Elf's always on your mental floor. And you manipulate it in your writings with him as the persona.

You know, I'm really imagining it...the way Elf answers, how he looks sarcastically at you...and it seems he can always be a winner! It looks so real to me. Well, my imagination carries me away to Elf land!

A great write-up that always amazes me. I'm filling up my time reading many excellent posts in this blog. Thank you, Od!